THIS IS MY BLOG! It will contain whatever *I* want to say. Remember, you are a GUEST. If you have some mental problem with my topics, words or personality, I suggest you click off my site and find something better to do on the Web.
Play nicely, or I will advertise your logged IP here for spammers to catch, along with banning it.
Gimmicks
Saturday, April 29, 2006
Mexican in GringoLand My maternal great-grandparents came to the US from Mexico in the 1920s. My grandfather was their first child born in the US. In Texas.
My mom was very much against all the "illegals," which I found pretty darn funny. Sometimes, I think she has trouble remembering that I know we don't have a spit of Spanish in us. And I'm not ashamed of my heritage.
"Can I see the Golden Ticket the US sent to your grandparents to bring them in?" I asked her.
It's plain to see, her grandparents ILLEGALLY crossed the Rio Grande. Duh.
Now, her tune has changed. America is a melting pot.
This afternoon, we had lunch at a little Mexican diner before going to Munchkin's play. We got chatting with the Mexican owners, who agreed with me that my mom should open a Mexican store in our area. They have to drive nearly 50 miles to get their supplies, which sucks.
It really put a bug in my mom's ear. Neither her, nor my dad, are getting younger and good jobs are hard to find for 60-year-old cranky people. They want to move out of GringoLand when my dad retires.
So, we actually talked more about it while waiting for the play to start.
Both of us agreed that she'd run the store great. What about my dad? His job, after much thought, would be to sit by the front doors and talk in his wannabee Mexican accent and tell Mexican jokes while wearing a sombrero and matching outfit. Btwn siestas. Sunshine - Walking on Sunshine -
4/29/2006 03:14:00 PM