weblog commenting
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Walking on sunshine. Always tacky.

Monday, April 24, 2006

Child labor lives on here
Growing up, we had chores. My mother paid us an allowance each Friday. I got a whole dollar for doing what I was assigned, maybe more if I did something extraordinary.

That money was for me to spend or save or whatever. If I wanted Cookie Crisp cereal, I paid for the luxury out of my own money. If I wanted a silly shirt or toy, I had to save up for it. If I wanted hot lunch, it came from my own pocket.

My kids get an allowance. Munchkin's is $20, $5 of which is direct deposited into her savings account. This is her "pin" money, but she earns it through putting dishes away, vacuuming the house, cleaning the kids' bathroom, etc.

If she wants an ice cappucino while we are out, she buys her own. She wants makeup or cellphone cover, HER wallet opens. Not mine.

This arrangement keeps me from being the Bank of Mom. And it has taught my kids the value of money and prioritizing luxuries. (Which would explain Munchkin's love for resale and dollar stores.)

Yet, many people are horrified that I give allowances, especially for child labor. As soon as the lecture starts, I'm ready.

If a kid doesn't buy something him/herself, how will they EVER learn to truly appreciate owning it? Taking care of it? Waste and abuse is so much less when you've had to truly EARN something.

Of course, I have heard, "Well, I just give my child money each week." Why? For blessing the world with their presence? For breathing? For not getting arrested?

Let's face it, I'm also teaching my kids a trade. Cleaning is an honest profession, just ask Molly Maid.


Copyright - WalkingOnSunshine 2001-2011