weblog commenting
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Walking on sunshine. Always tacky.

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

There is no "deserve"
It still amazes me how many people blame the victim of rape. It was a discussion we had recently at work and I PO'd a few of my fellow employees.

The general stance, even among "educated" women, is the victim's clothes, ie. slutty clothes = deserve it.

I asked one gal to define "slutty clothes."

And when she finished, I said, "Huh. So YOU deserve it if you are raped, eh?"

You see, she described booby-showing shirts. Tight clothes, skin showing.

And she turned red when I pointed out that the shirt she was wearing displayed HER ample cleavage, not to mention, she had to pull it down at the bottom WHILE she was describing "slutty clothes" because her midrift was showing. And her tattoos.

Many people still see tattoos as marks of sluttiness.

NOBODY DESERVES TO BE RAPED. No reason, no excuse. Rape is an ACT OF VIOLENCE, whether the rapist is known or unknown.

Rapists rarely even look at clothes. Soccer moms are raped in parking lots, grandmothers are raped in their own homes.

I was fuming.

My analogy to my speechless coworkers: "maybe we should blame people who drive flashy sports cars who have them stolen, right? According to your theory, they DESERVE it. But then, call your insurance company and you will find out that it's the Honda Civic and Jeep models in the HIGH RISK category."

Just the regulars you see in the mall parking lots.


Copyright - WalkingOnSunshine 2001-2011