weblog commenting
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Walking on sunshine. Always tacky.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Yesterday was chock full of excitement.

I know it's gonna be a doozy when hubby calls me at work and the first words out of his mouth are, "I don't want you to worry, but..."

OF COURSE NOT! You are just phoning me in the middle of the day because it's FUN. Now, let me go back to handing out money.

But I always know better. There is this 6th sense, the one that believed Munchkin WAS really ill the day after Halloween and shouldn't go to school. Hubby pooh-pooh'd her, and she didn't really LOOK sick, and she'd been out for hours the night before just fine. I still let her stay home. The next day, the chickenpox started poking thru. Yay for Mommy Intuition!

Or, as I eloquently say, "One less issue for her to tell her shrink when she's 30!"

With hubby, the sirens started blaring right away in my head.

"What happened?" I asked him calmly.
"The situation is under control..."
"Where are you? It sounds like you're in a wind tunnel!"
"Now, don't be scared or overreact..."
"Tell me what's going on and *I'LL* decide about that."
"We're on our way to the ER. There was a slight accident at work, but it's all OK." His voice kinda got sing-song.
"WHAT happened?" The calm was pretty much out now.
"Now, don't go rushing out of work or anything, OK? I kinda cut myself and the Urgent Care can't take care of it because they said I need a hand surgeon..." He sounded doped up. Unfortunately, it was just the opposite, they hadn't given him ANY drugs yet, he was trying to cope.
"WHAT HOSPITAL ARE YOU GOING TO?!!!?" By now, my coworkers were bug-eyed.

Needless to say, I got the name of the hospital and told him I was on my way. A quick explanation to my boss before I left and it took me less than 20 minutes to get to the ER. He was still doing paperwork when I walked thru the doors.

And I shuddered.

The injury is pretty severe. He SEVERED a tendon in his hand with the deep gash. The middle finger. I joked it was his driving finger. He's going to need surgery to fix it. And lots of drugs, for him and me.

What was REALLY creepy is that 6 months ago -- to the day, to the freakin' HOURS -- we were in that very same hospital. In that very same ER. Just 30 ft away.

When Rob was killed in The Accident.


Copyright - WalkingOnSunshine 2001-2011