weblog commenting
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Walking on sunshine. Always tacky.

Thursday, December 01, 2005

The 12 months of Christmas (repayment)
Why is it really big news that wages aren't increasing. Honestly, how can it be surprising?

What scares me is how many people are LIVING off credit cards. Not paying down the debt, but adding to it each month.

Our biggies at work right now are credit cards increases and unsecured/signature loans, "for Christmas shopping."

Of course, an unsecured loan is a much better bet than a credit card (read that fine print, people!), but it is still crazy to want $2500 for buying "gifts and extras." And finance for 5 years, please.

People, this is called "living beyond your means." What about NEXT year?

Dear God, I sound like my manager. AND MY MOTHER!

Yes, I'm considered "frugal." I prefer thoughtful over a heart-attack price tag. Even our White Elephant exchange at work is max'd at $20. One gal doesn't have $20 to throw around and nearly backed out, until I quietly explained to her that $20 was the MAX, and buying a gift on sale or with a coupon is perfectly FINE. Yesterday, she confided that she spent $7 and is confident that her secret pal will be happy.

It's funny, from the time I was 11, my parents gave us cash for Christmas and birthdays. No gifts. Oh, I was the envy of all my teenaged friends.

Now, they give gifts. Not a stack, but a few. Nothing to break the bank. Or even a sweat.

What I'm reading now: Avoid holiday debt, great tips and ideas section, too.


Copyright - WalkingOnSunshine 2001-2011