THIS IS MY BLOG! It will contain whatever *I* want to say. Remember, you are a GUEST. If you have some mental problem with my topics, words or personality, I suggest you click off my site and find something better to do on the Web.
Play nicely, or I will advertise your logged IP here for spammers to catch, along with banning it.
Gimmicks
Wednesday, October 26, 2005
Saving now pays later Our weekend is already planned.
No parties or get-togethers. Just us and the kids.
Every day on the radio, I hear how the cost of heating is going up this winter. So, a trip to Walmart for more area rugs, stripping, caulk and plastic for the inside of my screens. Spending $100 now will save me hundreds this winter.
Last January, we bought a new thermostat for the house, a 5-1-1 programmable. Hubby put it in and I set the times and temps. The first month, which was HARSH, that little investment more than paid for itself! Cost: 50, savings: 70.
Not too long ago, I went to a really good seminar on saving money. It had the usual tricks, like not spending change, direct deposit, cutting down on coffees/eating out/cigarettes, etc. Tracking spending is advised, but doesn't seem realistic for most people.
There were a few lump-sum goodies, too, like when buying a vehicle from a dealership, do NOT purchase the GAP/disability/credit life insurance from them. Instead go through the lending company and you can usually save 50%.
Doesn't seem like much until you look at it as possibly making 2 extra payments, right?
Another good way to lump-sum save is insurance shopping, then putting away the savings. Or my fave, which we do, is giving us adults an "allowance." Instead of feeling tightened by a budget, this $20 is our "freedom money."
That freedom keeps us saving, and having savings keeps us freer!