THIS IS MY BLOG! It will contain whatever *I* want to say. Remember, you are a GUEST. If you have some mental problem with my topics, words or personality, I suggest you click off my site and find something better to do on the Web.
Play nicely, or I will advertise your logged IP here for spammers to catch, along with banning it.
Gimmicks
Tuesday, November 16, 2004
Finally, an interesting job interview! About 2:30 p.m. yesterday, I received a second call from a credit union, this time the gal wanted a face-to-face interview. We agreed that I would be in Lori's office at 4. It was rather short notice, but I am well-prepared. Heck, I even travel with a resume!
I knew this was going to be interesting just by Lori's appearance. Many banks are now casual (basic school uniforms are dressier!), but this credit union had their tellers dressed quite professionally. Good, because I was in slacks, scooped turtleneck shirt under a cropped blazer and flats.
Lori was wearing HEELS.
After pleasantries, she started with her questions: what magazines do you like to read? C'mon, that was fun! I'm sick of the run-of-the-mill textbook inquiries: where do you see yourself in 5 years? what do you do in your spare time? This gal took the questions her assistant went through during the phone interview and expanded on them quite nicely.
I particularly liked, "what has been your biggest challenge and how did you overcome it?" My candid answer surprised her. It went something like, "I was a young, single mother and I am sure you know the stereotype. Every day of my daughter's life, I have strived to NOT be that stereotype. It would have been very easy to just sit back and collect welfare or child support, maybe have a few more kids, but I never did that. Not that things were easy, but I paid my dues with hard work, owned up to my MANY mistakes, and now have a wonderful husband and supportive friends and family. Every day, I look at my daughter and know that *I* was lucky to have that will and though she doesn't know it, she was luckier than many other kids. When someone starts bashing young, single mothers, I remind them that *I* was a young, single mother and that usually shuts them up. And if it doesn't, I remind the person that for every young mother, there is a FATHER, too. Just by knowing me, many people have changed their preconceived notions of young, single mothers. Even today, my daughter is a freshman in high school and I feel that I am still overcoming it, but it will NEVER overcome me."
Yep, it went well. When asked, I even knew the difference btwn a bank and a credit union. It wasn't required, but she was still impressed. Lori is recommending me for the third, and final, interview. We shall see! Sunshine - Walking on Sunshine -
11/16/2004 08:20:00 AM