weblog commenting
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Walking on sunshine. Always tacky.

Thursday, October 07, 2004

Flu Shot FreakOut
Ah, it's time for the annual Flu Shot FreakOut! For weeks, we have been force-fed the Importance Of The Flu Shot and how almost EVERYONE needs one. We have been bombarded with horrifying stats, like "36,000 people DIE from the flu each year"!

WAIT! Suddenly, all that changed Oct. 5. The supply is (once again) short, so unless you are considered "high risk," you won't be able to get one.

Does any of this affect Munchkin, hubby or me? NAH! Like orthodonics, I don't believe in "flu shots." Yeah, yeah, I know the rhetoric. I also know that many people believe a flu shot will make up for not taking better care of themselves (proper sleep, good hygiene, eating right, exercise, etc.)

For the past 3 years, my stepson has received a flu shot. His mother is FANATICAL about it. Yet, he STILL supposedly gets The Flu at least once, usually twice, during "peak season."

Is he "high risk"? Nope. At 14, he drinks several cups of coffee in the AM, eats a regular diet of fast food and soda and high-sugar/-fat junk, is overweight and rarely exercises. I am his Hygiene Police. 'Nuf said. Ick.

It will be interesting to see if he is able to get a shot this year. As for me, my freaking out will be more about missing Gusto and my freshman daughter!


Copyright - WalkingOnSunshine 2001-2011