weblog commenting
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Walking on sunshine. Always tacky.

Saturday, May 22, 2004

Nobody's perfect
My parents drove over to out house today.

My dad is thrilled shitless that my husband not only LIKES to talk about CB radios, but geek LOVES to play with them.

Today, my parents delivered my husband's early birthday present: a CB radio and antenna. My mother told me a few weeks ago that my dad INSISTED he buy us one before The Big Trip. Then, she called earlier this week and said they would bring it over this weekend, so my dad could install it.

My mother told me that my dad is bragging to everyone at work about his son-in-law. He's quite excited...not just that hubby is a good playmate, but my husband is incredibly INTELLIGENT, too.

As they prepared to leave, my slightly-tipsy dad stood in my driveway, looked around at our home and kids and said, "You know, Sunshine, I never knew you'd done so good. That makes me proud."

"Well, I have a great husband. He's the one to blame."

"No, you have really good kids. I wish I had been a better father. Your husband and you are a team; I saw him working with his son today and I hear Munchkin talk about you when she's over. Maybe if I'd been like that with your brothers more, things could be different with them."

I just shrugged. "They chose their path. I chose mine. They are nearly 40 years old, I think the statute of limitations on blaming you for their choices is well over. I made plenty of mistakes along the way, too, but my head is on pretty straight."

And if that wasn't shocker enough, my mother complimented me on my good housekeeping! Growing up, I was pretty sloppy/messy. Although I still have a few problems areas, like papers, my house is neat and smells nice.

It took me about 2 hours of labor to feel my house was acceptably clean. I am still pretty harsh on myself, and did much more than vacuum, dust, dishes and wipe down. As soon as I realized my behavior was becoming neurotic, I calmed down. The big tasks were done.

And I stepped down from shining the dining room chandelier.


Copyright - WalkingOnSunshine 2001-2011