THIS IS MY BLOG! It will contain whatever *I* want to say. Remember, you are a GUEST. If you have some mental problem with my topics, words or personality, I suggest you click off my site and find something better to do on the Web.
Play nicely, or I will advertise your logged IP here for spammers to catch, along with banning it.
We bought Munchkin a prepay cellphone for her birthday last year and laid down OUR ground rules. No problems. In fact, she rarely takes it to school.
The school district forbids kids from having cellphones ON THE PROPERTY. Not in cars, not in purses or lockers, etc. The punishment is quite severe, too: confiscation until the end of the year for the first offense, suspension for the second.
We are bombarded by our government about potential terrorist plots via planes, trains, malls, etc. Munchkin's school is less than 100 yards from a major international trunk line.
Evidently, the policy has been enforced several times this year. One girl had her phone fall out of her purse in the hallway. It wasn't turned on, but was confiscated by the janitor and turned into the principal.
I could see it being taken if it had rang in class, but ZERO TOLERANCE?!!?
Now, if that was Munchkin, the phone would be in MY hands. I play hardball.
I couldn't imagine my kid having harsher punishment for possessing a LEGAL device, than the kid who sold his Ritalin to several classmates. Any other time, this would bring an automatic ZERO TOLERANCE 180-day expulsion, but "due to special circumstances," the seller and buyers received just a few weeks of in-house suspension, instead.
Last year, a classmate of Munchkin's tricked a few kids into eating some aspirin tablets that were either LONG expired or coated with something, because they all got really sick almost immediately. (She claimed they were altoids, but she didn't eat any.) She was only suspended for 2 weeks. Her mommy is on the PTA.
How whacked is it when a turned off cellphone falling out of a purse garners longer-lasting punishment than knowingly poisoning classmates and selling drugs at school! Sunshine - Walking on Sunshine -
4/20/2004 10:27:00 PM