weblog commenting
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Walking on sunshine. Always tacky.

Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Viva!
After decades of lying, my mother is finally embracing her MEXICAN heritage.

In our IM conversation last night, she stated that I am her biggest supporter, although my father has adjusted rather well. My sister and both brothers are still in denial that we are NOT Spanish in the least, but actually, Mexican. I could/would/should NEVER feel ashamed about such a fact.

The other night, we stopped at SuperWalmart and I found some cool little KoolAid-type drink packets called, "KLASS Aguas Frescas." I bought a few flavors, not just for Munchkin and me, but to mail my mother to show her friend, who owns the little Mexican store in her town. She might be interested in stocking them.

The product is decidedly an ethnic taste: Guayaba, Pina (pineapple), Melon (cantalope), etc. I promise to be more adventureous next time and get the other flavors.

A few months ago, Munchkin spent a few days at my parents' house and my mother taught her to make homemade corn tortillas. Now, I try to fit tacos into our menu twice a month, and Munchkin prepares her unique shells. YUM YUM!!!

Two weeks ago, Munchkin went over for Spring Break and, with my mother, attended the Spanish classes given by the store owner. Munchkin scored the only 100 on a test! teehee Everyone was surprised, but mother said she metter-of-factly told the astonished ADULT students, "My mom teaches me Spanish words when we go on long drives and she gave me her high school Spanish book a long time ago."

Silly me, I even taught her verb conjugation along the way! Yep, there is still some residual memory of my 4 years of high school Spanish. (Good thing, too, since Munchkin decided to take Spanish 1 her Freshman year, which starts in August.)

Mother's Day will further surprise my mother...I already bought her several Mexican-themed cute potholder/dish towel sets!

Perdone y viva!


Copyright - WalkingOnSunshine 2001-2011