weblog commenting
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Walking on sunshine. Always tacky.

Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Stunt driving
Yesterday, my daughter's 8th-grade social studies class had a visit from a high school counselor.

For some reason, he started talking about drivers' training and asking the kids when they were going to be taking it. Some of Munchkin's classmates will start this summer!

When he got to Munchkin, she stated that she is going to wait until she is out of high school. She will turn 18 after she has started college. "Driving is a big responsibility and I don't want it interfering with school."

This counselor was completely surprised and UNsupportive of her decision.

In fact, he believes her attitude is very IRRESPONSIBLE.

He tried to tell her that her NOT driving would be an inconvenience for her parents. She said, "No, my mom and dad already said they'll drive me around." (Considering the cost of our insurance will easily double to $4,000 every 6 months once she starts training, spending a few bucks for gas for her will be a luxury!)

This evening, I e-mailed the bastard a sharply-worded e-mail which included links to this story and this story. This fatal accident happened AT THE SAME MOMENT he was speaking to my daughter's classroom.

My daughter is emulating my actions about driving at her age. I wasn't interested at all. "You'll change your mind when it gets closer." I didn't.

My parents FORCED me to attend the 2-week summer drivers' training course and get my permit when I was 15. When I passed that test, my mom MADE me drive home and I went about a mile down the road before my crying convinced her to get me from behind the wheel.

With my learners' permit, she always tried to get me to drive by offering me her keys. And I always declined.

My mother took me out of school the first day I was able to get my license when I turned 16--a sophomore in high school. Resistance was futile. On the bright side, the pic turned out good! lolol

I never asked to borrow the car in 86, 87, 88 or 89. I did drive a handful of times, but it was my boyfriend's car and went just down the block (except the "blowing-up-the-transmission-in-the-brand-new-Jeep" incident, but that was HIS fault for forcing me to drive a stick.) I never lacked for a ride to school...my mom, friends and boyfriends were happy to have me as a willing passenger. My friends would have heated arguments over whose turn it was to drive, but I just got in the passenger side.

The summer before my senior year of high school, my dad went out and bought me a nice car, despite my loud protests. I was told I would have to have a job in order to gas and insure it. I told them to give it to my sister, because I did NOT want any part of it.

Of course, I was a teen and HAD to want to drive like everyone else.

HA! That car sat for the next 11 MONTHS. LITERALLY. Did not move. Did not pass go. Did not collect $200.

Finally, I picked up the keys off the rack 3 days before I graduated from high school. My parents plated and insured it for as my grad present. For my maiden voyage, I drove it to the ceremony. ALONE. (That upset my dad because he wanted to drive me in our limousine. teehee!)

I was 18 years, 7 months and 15 days old.


Copyright - WalkingOnSunshine 2001-2011