weblog commenting
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Walking on sunshine. Always tacky.

Sunday, April 11, 2004

All in the family
It's quiet again.

Our house bustledwith activity since 8 a.m. Mother and son made breakfast; I straightened; my inlaws helped when/where they could. It was silently known to everyone how important My Parents First Visit was to us.

Last night, Mom taught me how to make the perfect hard-boiled eggs (sorry, Gusto!) This morning, she put together the deviled eggs, while my husband and I prepared The Last Supper.

They arrived just before 1 p.m. with a hanging geranium basket for us and their little dog. Dinner was ready to be dished up at 1:15 p.m.** With only a few minutes to spare, I gave my astounded mother a tour of our house. She was quite impressed with our large ranch. "WOW! This is HUGE!" Meanwhile, my husband grand-toured my awed father around our mammoth pole barn. "WOW! You sure do have A LOT!"

The barn is fully accessorized now: toolbox (aka Our Retirement Condo), workbenches, lights, tractors, generator, etc.

OH! When my parents came in, I introduced everyone..."Mom, Dad, this is Mom and Dad." My husband owes me $5 now. La-who-zahr!

The parents socialized nicely, while my darling husband and I put everything in serving dishes. Some of us ate at the table, some in the living room.

My father ate and ate and ate! I had ALL his favorites: sweet pickles, homemade mashed potatoes, the right rolls, Honeybaked ham, jellied cranberries, etc. He GUSHED over our food. My mother loved my mother-in-law's delicious broccoli w/cheese. The Marie Calender pies were perfect, too. And that was just 1/2 of our menu!

My inlaws lapped up the ample praise heaped on their talented son. :-)

What my parents saw of my life shocked them. We are doing great! We are happily married! My inlaws are wonderful! Everything here is OURS, nothing taken from them.

When my inlaws left, I hugged and kissed each goodbye, while thanking them for everything. My parents left an hour later and it was much more formal. Kind words, but no physical affection.

A year ago, kind words weren't uttered. Things change.

**No chocolate bunny ears were bitten off during today's production.


Copyright - WalkingOnSunshine 2001-2011