weblog commenting
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Walking on sunshine. Always tacky.

Friday, January 30, 2004

Yesterday was an incredibly STRANGE day.

1. I worked with Gusto, since I had traded Wed. for Thurs. No biggie.
2. As I was heading for home, my Jeep's radiator went blah. Nextel'd my husband and he drove her home, while I followed in the truck. Everything is fine, the radiator will be replaced by my husband tomorrow. Luckily, I am pretty smart and didn't drive her into ruining the engine, etc.
3. That whole incident, coupled with serious bout of PMS, sent me into a MAJOR crying spell. Sobbing on my bed. Mostly over the knowledge that my girl is getting old. I don't WANT a new vehicle. I WANT MY JEEP!
4. Shortly after 8 p.m., the phone rang. My husband picked it up and handed it to me. I thought it must have been Gusto-related, but he seemed a bit confused and when he said who it was, I was like, "Huh?" I heard what he said, but it didn't make sense.

The old man next door, who owns a tractor biz, flat-out hired me. He needs someone who is computer-knowledgable and wants to work parttime.

I know him only because I have gone to council meetings. He always seemed grumpy...not mean, just not pleasant. He IS a good neighbor, there haven't been any problems. Hey, our road is even named after him!

It was those dealings with the town that brought my computer and people skills to his attention. So, he phoned me. I explained that I already work parttime, but I could fit him in on my days off. Maybe even a few evenings.

I went over today after Gusto's and helped figure out the damage done by his former office gal. She just left one day...nothing was written down, computers were password-protected. In less than 15 minutes, I completed more than he had done in 8 hours.

We chatted a bit and I realized that he is a lonely old guy. No kids of his own, but he dotes on his two stepgrandsons...but they moved away and he doesn't see them often. I understand him more now.

The whole thing is bizarre. I wasn't looking for a job...heck, I didn't even apply! But who could pass up something literally NEXT DOOR?

It's worth a try. He knows that my first loyalty is to Gusto. There is no question. He came to me and I told him the truth. Whether or not he can respect it will be the biggest factor.


Copyright - WalkingOnSunshine 2001-2011