THIS IS MY BLOG! It will contain whatever *I* want to say. Remember, you are a GUEST. If you have some mental problem with my topics, words or personality, I suggest you click off my site and find something better to do on the Web.
Play nicely, or I will advertise your logged IP here for spammers to catch, along with banning it.
Gimmicks
Saturday, June 14, 2003
This morning's major task was grocery shopping. Most days, it is a chore to head into town and I come home feeling drained and grumpy.
Not today!
Instead of heading toward Flint, I pointed my Jeep in the opposite direction, rolled my windows down and turned up the radio. The two stores on my itinerary are not huge chain stores. They are locally-owned and in a small town. I adore the quaint atmosphere, citizens wave and are patient, but with 4 sets of railroad tracks snaking through town, I guess they know plenty about slow!
Both grocery stores have friendly personnel...from cashiers to the meat cutters to the stockers. Everyone smiles. Conversations with cashiers are not, "That will be $38.22." They offer paper or plastic, ask if you found everything OK, hand out DumDum suckers (even to adults!) and ALWAYS tell you to have a nice day. It is quite obvious, because I have NEVER heard one complaint, that the workers must like their jobs!
Both stores offer paper or plastic sacks, I never have to ask. Neither has "cart corrals," and it is extremely rare to see a stray cart in the parking lot. Customers return carts inside without being asked. Like many others, I will see someone unloading their cart and ask if I can take it. Genuine pleasantries are always exchanged.
Actually, both stores have baggers who will load your groceries into your car! Most times, at one market, I have to stop the bagger from walking out with me! *I* am only 32 years old and my load is typically quite light!
It is refreshing to shop where you feel appreciated and not treated like another head in a cattle herd. It is nice to be waited on by cheery people and be included in conversations with the workers, not made to feel like you are interrupting their gossip/gripe sessions. The whole town is like that...the hardware, locally-owned pharmacy, Hallmark store, etc.
Happiness is visiting Durand. Sunshine - Walking on Sunshine -
6/14/2003 11:37:00 AM