THIS IS MY BLOG! It will contain whatever *I* want to say. Remember, you are a GUEST. If you have some mental problem with my topics, words or personality, I suggest you click off my site and find something better to do on the Web.
Play nicely, or I will advertise your logged IP here for spammers to catch, along with banning it.
Gimmicks
Saturday, April 26, 2003
GRANDPARENTS' RIGHTS.
The Michigan Supreme Court will be issuing a ruling on Grandparents' Rights later this spring. A Florida Senate panel is trying to restore these "rights," too.
My parents would be stupid to try to sue for "Grandparents' Rights." Not only would we get a DAMN good lawyer, AGAIN, but I would have no problem airing their dirtiest laundry. They wouldn't win.
I don't believe in "Grandparents' Rights." With rights come responsibilities. Unless the grandparents are the child's legal guardians, they should not have any rights. Otherwise, they don't have the right to authorize medical attention for a minor child in their care. They don't have the right to remove a child from school without parental consent. The list goes on and on.
Why I, or anyone else, keeps child(ren) away from grandparents, that is OUR decision to make and be respected. What is trivial to one, is significant to another: morals, religions, prejudices, etc. There are many secrets in the most "perfect" of families.
As I said above, with rights come responsibilities. Will grandparents seeking visitation, be similarly ordered to pay child support? Or have mandated health care coverage orders? In divorce cases, whose time will they be stealing? The parent who gets every other weekend? That sure isn't right. And if time is taken from the primary parent, why couldn't THE OTHER PARENT have been given that visit?
Ultimately, the parents, no matter how warped the reason, unless their parental rights have been terminated, should not have a court meddle in their decisions about who visits their child. Sunshine - Walking on Sunshine -
4/26/2003 11:48:00 PM