weblog commenting
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Walking on sunshine. Always tacky.

Thursday, January 09, 2003

Yesterday was rush-rush, meetings all day and night.

Of course, my evening was spent at the town council meeting. No kidding, 6:30-10 p.m.

I went to my first one in November, the public hearing ahead concerned a lot split on my tiny block. I stayed into the council meeting to ask about a dog ordinance and was treated with respect and kindness by everyone. That prompted me to stay for the entire bruhaha (there are so many laughs, it reminds me of a comedy club!), where I ended up volunteering to help create their Web site.

Last month, I went to present the site and was offered the job of grant writer. Why? I sent a thank you note to the council for hearing my concern and letting me start their Web endeavor. The gesture and my formal writing abilities greatly impressed them.

This month, my hiring was put on the agenda and formalized. My presentation began with another thank you and teased that while they were "debating" the name of our neighboring town, I was scanning an older state grant book for ideas. My "warning" to them at the end was informing them that I would be working WITH them, so we can all get the town some funding for new projects.

Our two lawyers unexpectedly complimented my short speech, simply because I mentioned keeping tabs on what we plan to do and not doubling up on efforts or wrongly prioritizing (such as putting in new sidewalks BEFORE paving a road.) That kind of screw-up wastes valuable time and money and, as the attorneys pointed out, could blacklist us from receiving more grants in the future.

I stayed for the entire "show," and learned even more about the small town where we live. Gossip, of course, but where the town has been is incredible! Honestly, it is exciting and humbling to realize that *I* am actively assisting in its future.

OUR future!


Copyright - WalkingOnSunshine 2001-2011