weblog commenting
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Walking on sunshine. Always tacky.

Saturday, January 11, 2003

The Detroit Auto Show was a no-go for us. We figured the outing to end up costing us about $100, not including therapy for the kids! Yes, today is Opening Day and the attendance will be close to 100,000! MAD HOUSE!

At $12 per person, that would have added up to $48, then parking at $5-10, gas for 150 miles round-trip at $15, and a fast-food lunch or dinner at $25...not chump change just after the holidays. We do have the money, but we have better places to spend it than bumping through the chaotic crowds, looking at cars and trucks we would never waste our time to see in the showrooms.

Instead, the four of us went bowling, which we have NEVER done together before. R bragged how he used to be on a league and had a 180 average, whereas I can literally count (on both hands) how many times I have been bowling...and with my high school dating story about throwing a bowling ball BACKWARD into the crowd on a Saturday night while we were out with my then-boyfriend's aunt and uncle, it's not hard to explain why this was ONLY the second time I had bowled since that embarrassing incident in 1988.

(Lulu, the last time was with Rob and Nina and Ginger and her fiancee in 1994!)

But NOBODY believes me! I got 3 strikes and 2 spares, ending up with a score of 131, which demolished R's total of 99. Somehow, I just know how to bowl. It's almost freaky. The kids tried their best, of course, and it felt really good to have all of us CHEERING for all of us.

That hour of fun cost only $20 and on the short trip home, we discussed the exciting possibility of buying bowling balls and shoes for each of us. It's a thought!

Most yummy, we were able to eat the huge ham dinner I prepared today, instead of blah fast food.

I doubt our fun this afternoon will bring on therapy when they are 30...it was an excellent family day!


Copyright - WalkingOnSunshine 2001-2011