weblog commenting
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Walking on sunshine. Always tacky.

Friday, August 16, 2002

I just got back from Oakland County, where I had to run a few errands and make a drop at Goodwill. (Don't worry, Bethany, I'll have all the tax receipts and itemizations for your mom by the time I start back! :-)

Decided to hit WalMart, since R is working late again.

Saw something really cool in Walmart that most people in southeastern Michigan, actually, probably most of the state, would call me a liar for saying...

There was an Amish family shopping inside. No, there wasn't a horse and buggy outside, either.

Amish in Oakland County (population over 1 million) is like finding an M&M in your Hershey's bar (guess who is PMSing and fiending for chocolate?) It's like going to the Oscars and finding someone who hasn't had plastic surgery or Botox injections. It's like the odds of winning the lottery or getting hit by lightening on your birthday at the exact moment you were born.

The closest Amish town is at least 100 miles from here, so this is NOT typical. My wonderful friend, Bethany, a lifelong metro Detroiter and yearly Shipshewana adventurer, thought it was cool to meet an Amish family waiting for a DR appointment at University of Michigan. (So did I, of course!) She is going to be sooooooo envious! teehee (Maybe they were here for the Woodward Dream Cruise?)

The whole family looked absolutely terrified, so I have a distinct feeling it was their first time in a Walmart. No, I didn't stare, unlike most other curious shoppers, but I did make eye contact with the mother and daughter and smiled at them. Still, they looked afraid of the busy store, but I hope they felt more at ease.

I remember my first visit to a Walmart...YIKES! I grew up going to a large mall, but that was not as overwhelming as the variety, prices and pace of Walmart. (Let's not mention the general rudeness, either.)

Seeing Amish is not usually a big deal to me, since we regularly drive through Amish areas of Michigan, like Gladwin and Mio. I have seen buggies at McDonald's, OK?

We campered near Evart earlier this year and a large group of Amish men and women came paddling up on one of the canoe trips offered. The Amish ladies were in their long, dark skirts and long-sleeved shirts and stared at the girls and boys playing in the river in halter tops, shorts and bathing suits. The kids did not giggle or point, even though some had never before seen the culture firsthand.

What a refreshing thought...Amish in Oakland county.

OMG, but no buggies on the freeways, Telegraph or Woodward, OK?!!? ;-)


Copyright - WalkingOnSunshine 2001-2011