weblog commenting
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Walking on sunshine. Always tacky.

Friday, August 02, 2002

Happy Friday Five!
1. What is your lineage? Where are your ancestors from? Mexico, the United Kingdom, Scandinavia and Germany. Unfortunately, my mother lied until about 5 years ago about her heritage being from Spain, when her supposedly Alzheimer's-suffering father narc'd her out to my very prejudiced father, who informed us kids (ages 27-33), that our mother's "ancestors were nothing but pickers." (That was the night I stopped speaking to my parents, but mostly for other reasons.) The disgusted tone of my father's drunken voice told me to be ashamed because HE was. I still have my pride, except in my mother, who lied...she had told me years before that my great-grandmother was Mexican, but my bigoted father would have never even dated her if she'd admitted it to him. Now, she just says that SHE was lied to, but that doesn't explain MY previous knowledge.
2. Of those countries, which would you most like to visit? Mexico. It used to be Spain, though.
3. Which would you least like to visit? Why? Germany, I'm not too proud of their history last century. My best friend is Jewish, which makes it all worse. My extended relatives may have been Nazi-Hitler-loving monsters and murdered her ancestors. I have no pride in that nation or nationality.
4. Do you do anything during the year to celebrate or recognize your heritage? Can make tacos count?
5. Who were the first ancestors to move to your present country (parents, grandparents, etc)? I've heard my dad's side has been here in the U.S. for centuries, but my mom's side is more recent with my grandfather's parents swimming the Rio Grande in the 1920s and my grandmother's grandparents hitting Ellis Island around the turn of the century. Then again, this IS info from my mother, so I could be entirely wrong.


Copyright - WalkingOnSunshine 2001-2011