weblog commenting
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Walking on sunshine. Always tacky.

Wednesday, June 12, 2002

Two years ago today, one of the greatest ladies I have ever had the privilege of knowing, passed away quietly during the night, reading her Bible.

Rick's gramma lived to be 86. I came along in the last five years of her life, but they were still very rich years for her. And me. The last time we saw Gramma alive was just 9 days before she died, Uncle Jer had a surprise 50th birthday party for Aunt Barb and I abosolutely insisted and guilt-tripped Rick into going with me and the kids. We all had a blast and our kids went over to Gramma and Grandpa's after (just for fun) with Mom and Dad. Rick has thanked me over and over since then. What was an inconvenience for a few moments has turned into sweet memories.

Gramma, like Grandpa, adored me, especially for making her grandson so happy. Gramma loved that I enveloped myself in her family: nearly every Christmas Day was spent over there, we NEVER missed a family reunion and we visited often. Our wedding three years earlier was the last time they traveled out of town for fun. After that, it was family medical emergency only.

Gramma raised 10 great kids. Gramma also took loving care of Grandpa's mom when she got too old, despite the fact that Gramma had been ridiculed and looked down upon for many years by her mother-in-law.

Gramma never really told me the secrets of her long and happy marriage, how to raise great kids, etc. She didn't need to, every moment was lesson enough. It's all work and all love, with liberal doses of luck and prayer, too.

I was lucky to know her and blessed to be loved by her.


Copyright - WalkingOnSunshine 2001-2011