weblog commenting
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Walking on sunshine. Always tacky.

Thursday, June 06, 2002

Just the other day, flipping through channels on the radio during my long drive home, I heard "Unanswered Prayers," by Garth Brooks and I realized that it happened to be my high school sweetheart's birthday, which was pretty funny.

I have lots of my own unanswered prayers from those days, and it is true, I am glad today for what I didn't get years ago. He was a great guy (tall, dark, handsome and a good Catholic boy, lol), who happened to be one of my best friends since 9th grade. After dating some real jerks (who were out of high school), I saw the "typical nice guy" that I was partners with in Spanish and loved to exchange notes with, as more than "just a friend." We dated our senior year, which pleased my parents and our group of friends, but infuriated his folks. We were actually engaged to be married (uh...that "date" is just days away, too, lol) for awhile after graduation. Ah, the teen years!

We had many great times and I credit him for teaching me what a nice guy was; unfortunately, I didn't believe I deserved a nice guy until many years later. Still, when I found Rick, I measured him up to my high school sweetheart and actually found that Rick was/is a NICER guy! Maybe it was because I had matured quite a bit, too?

I haven't spoken to him in years, but there are tidbits every now and then. I know it took me years to move on in my heart (my mother still hasn't tho, lol.), despite being in other relationships. I know, firsthand, this was mutual. Of course, there has been plenty of second-hand gossip, but I learned long ago to avoid that pratfall.

Yes, our breakup hurt then, we were supposed to be together FOREVER, but I am still grateful for my past because it has brought me to a wonderful present. Thankfully, I have known since 1995 that my prayers WERE answered.


Copyright - WalkingOnSunshine 2001-2011