weblog commenting
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Walking on sunshine. Always tacky.

Friday, May 17, 2002

Tis the season!

Siiiiiiiiigh, I will just grit my teeth and keep my firm stance yet again.

Nope, I'm not talking about Christmas, this is about the discussions Rick tries to initiate about Cody's birthday. They are not pretty, but only because *I* adamently refuse to allow anyone to give him a gun for his birthday. No kidding, this has been an argument for the past 3 years. Christmas is almost as bad, since I have forced a break in their "tradition." Side note:How chauvanistic is it that the girls are not included in this tradition?

Two years ago, Rick's parents bought Cody a BB gun, despite my known feelings. I had a total shit-fit and Rick ended up telling them to take it back. I flat out told him that there was NO WAY that gun would be brought to our home! For crying out loud, we lived in an apartment! His parents weren't too happy, but I don't give a rat's ass...SAFETY FIRST, hurt fee-fees don't matter.

I am NOT anti-gun, but I *AM* anti-any-child-having-any-type-of-gun-in-my-home. I spend the most time with Cody and know he is NOT yet mature enough for a BB gun. Rick has guns in our home, locked in the gun cabinet, and our kids have been taught that guns are not toys, etc. They know those are Dad's guns and respect that.

What scares me is Cody's childish comments about violence. Also, Cody thinks it would be "cool" to have a BB gun, so he could go out back and shoot. Uh...NO! He thinks that if it is his, it is his at his beck-n-call, like the TV and VCR in his room. Not to mention, Cody is still quite the liar and sneak. A 12-year-old who will not take on the responsibility to remember to change his underwear every day, should NOT have their own gun!

"But he IS a child!" argues Rick. Yep, exactly why Cody should NOT have a gun. You do NOT give a child a gun and then let them prove they are responsible! That is dangerously backward! Interestingly, Rick thinks my sarcastic idea of giving Cody a machete is a stupid idea...but NOT A GUN?!!? A machete will not kill, maim or injure someone 100 ft away if dropped!

I have staved off this chat so far by talking a lot about Heidi, who was shot thru her spinal column at 16. The accident left her paralyzed for life and she died last November at the tender age of 35.

I never want that happening because of my kids or to my kids.It is a tremendous price to pay and I won't take that kind of responsibility, especially under pressure. Rick has tried to compromise with me to no avail. I won't budge and his parents refuse to store the BB gun they want to give to Cody. Why not? They don't want Cody bugging them every time he visits when he wants to shoot and they have to go outside to supervise him. This is not one of those things grandparents can buy and "just send home."

My choice may not be the most popular and it is true that NOTHING has ever happened before in their family. Cody doesn't need to be the first. Hindsight is always 20/20, but this type of situation needs FORESIGHT.


Copyright - WalkingOnSunshine 2001-2011