THIS IS MY BLOG! It will contain whatever *I* want to say. Remember, you are a GUEST. If you have some mental problem with my topics, words or personality, I suggest you click off my site and find something better to do on the Web.
Play nicely, or I will advertise your logged IP here for spammers to catch, along with banning it.
Gimmicks
Friday, May 31, 2002
THE TEST. This morning I was setting out a bunch of Bethany's family's stuff in my yard sale. One particular item caught my eye...I didn't remember it at all. Of course, I wanted to be familiar with everything (the better to barter), so I opened the funny-shaped box with a sheet music covering.
It was a cute bath set: fragrant soap cubes and lotions. As I closed the lid, I caught a quick glance beyond the gift set. My mind refused to believe, so I re-opened the box.
Nestled in the back of the box, tucked between the padding surrounding the soaps and the outer cardboard, was MONEY!
I immediately said, "Whoops! This got missed!" and grabbed it out with a chuckle.
Then I looked at the denomination.
It was a $50 bill! HOLY SHIT! NO WAY!
I immediately ran in the house and called Bethany's mom. She was incredulous at my discovery. I teased her that she had planted it as a test to see if I really was putting their items out AND checking for breakage, etc. That got a good laugh, especially since I've had the stuff for a year now! She sounded grateful that I found it, even though it, evidently, had never been missed!
It wasn't until later this afternoon that I realized this minor event was, in fact, a test. I realize now that the option to pocket the money and keep my mouth shut was there all along, but I never considered it. I acted upon my first reaction...be honest. I probably could have justified keeping the money (it's not like they would miss it, etc.), but I cannot be a thief. There have been times when I have accidentally put Bethany's change in my pocket/purse, and as soon as I realize it, I put it back. Fifty cents, fifty dollars, it makes no difference to me!
I'm not a thief and I certainly do NOT put money above friendship. Hmmm...I hope this is one of those, "what goes around, comes around...3 times as much!" Sunshine - Walking on Sunshine -
5/31/2002 10:59:00 PM