weblog commenting
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Walking on sunshine. Always tacky.

Tuesday, March 12, 2002

I finally saw, "I Am Sam."

It was, undeniably, the most emotionally and mentally painful movie experience of my life. It hit so close to home, that even today, I am exhausted. Thankfully, I went alone.

I have read how "unrealistic" "I Am Sam" supposedly is, but as a single parent who has been in the court system and came VERY close to losing her daughter, I know better.

IT IS REAL!
IT IS UGLY!
IT IS PAINFUL!
IT HAPPENS EVERY DAY!


One day soon, I will share our story. I was coerced into entering a limited guardianship to try to protect my daughter, in case something ever happened to me, so she would not end up in the State's care. There was NO abuse, NO neglect, NO abandonment. I was NOT on drugs, NOT an alcoholic, NOT a prostitute, NOT in trouble with the law and NOT mentally unstable. I did nothing wrong, but I was made out to be an evil and unfit mother. Initially, I am sure it helped that my parents had money and used it, and NOT just on their attorney.

Despite it being a limited guardianship (my parental rights were not terminated), I had to fight the Court and my parents to get Karina back. Thankfully, I had the total support of my many friends and Rick. I also found an ethical lawyer, who truly BELIEVED in me and wouldn't be bought, which further astounds most people.

This stuff DOES happen. It just rarely makes it into the media.

I hope Sean Penn gets "Best Actor." He deserves it.


Copyright - WalkingOnSunshine 2001-2011