weblog commenting
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Walking on sunshine. Always tacky.

Thursday, March 21, 2002

I am watching the gas prices go up a bit more each day (reg. unleaded is about $1.38/gal.)

I hate paying more at the pump, but I know that if I do several things, the hit will not be as hard and/or as frequent on my pocket.
1. Drive slower. This also is good to keep from getting speeding tickets, which bring on higher insurance premiums.
2. Maintenance. Get my oil, oil filter and air filter changed every 3000 miles and use the pure synthetic oil.
3. Cost compare. Use my Sam's Club gas station and pay about 7 cents less per gallon with my club card.
4. Leave earlier. It is nice to not have to drive fast to make up the late time.
5. Combine errands. I live too far from a store to just run out for a gallon of milk, so I always have a list going in my purse of little things I need. If I have to take Karina to school or pick her up, I will just combine that trip with an errand in town.

It is really quite interesting since I drive through 3 counties on my way to work and the gas prices will usually fluctuate by 10-20 cents.

I listen to people gripe about the price on the radio, while watching cars and trucks speed past me on the freeway. Hey, STUPID! Maybe if you slowed down, you wouldn't use as much gas?

I am rarely in a hurry, because I leave early, and tend to drive 65 mph, instead of the posted 70. My Jeep (luv my Jeep!) has a nifty gadget to guage my immediate gas mileage and I watch it occasionally. I get about 20 mpg when I go 65, and it reduces to 17.7 when I get up to 70. Pretty significant, if you ask me!

Rick and I argue that his Ford conversion van gets better mileage going 70+. I am notorious for keeping track and always disprove his "SPEED IS GOOD" theory. He estimates that he is getting 17 mpg, but when I do the math, it is more like 13-14. HELLO! I don't see the logic in wasting gas, which is really wasting MONEY, to get to his parents 3 freakin' minutes faster. Mind you, I am not a nag about the speed/gas he gets in his Subaru, which is more than 30 mpg and he regularly drives to/from work. It is a heck of a lot better than if he drives the van, so I just zip the lip. Van is bad, Subaru is good.

I cringe when he talks about getting an extended cab, duelly 4x4 pickup. YIKES!


Copyright - WalkingOnSunshine 2001-2011