weblog commenting
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Walking on sunshine. Always tacky.

Saturday, January 19, 2002

Sometimes, Rick's mother is not too intelligent.

Grandpa is home now. He has a bunch of prescriptions, oxygen, a wheelchair, etc. There will be family staying with him when the home health aide and therapist are not working with him.

Grandpa also has a VERY strict diet: low-fat, low-sugar, low salt and NO hard foods like apples, carrots, broccoli, etc. He really has to watch his bread because it is high in fat. White meat and fish are good, but he doesn't like white meat. lol His dislikes are additional rocks in the path.

OK, so last night, Mom and I are IMing about visiting Grandpa today. She is planning on making goulash and mac and chez. Now, goulash is probably a good choice, but her mac and chez has 2 sticks of butter in a pan (which would make about 2 reg. boxes of the Kraft stuff.) I hinted nicely that all that butter might be against his diet, but she was adament that "homemade is better than the box stuff." I'll give her that, BUT that doesn't mean it is better for HIM!

It's unfortunate that Mom doesn't understand nutrition. She eagerly tries the stupid fad diets (like the Cabbage Soup diet, SlimFast diet and Atkins diet), lost 25 lbs. in 2 months, sworn it is THE best way in the world, and 2 months later, got bored with them, and gained back those pounds, plus 10 more. She doesn't exercise or cut BACK on the food she intakes at all. She has health problems (like high cholesterol, which she just takes pills) AND a weight problem (which she admonishes her dr. for mentioning) and still doesn't do research.

I am currently trying to lose 15 lbs. and am more than 1/2 way to my goal. How? I cut back on the food I consume and try to make sure it is healthy, like chicken, instead of beef. Oh, and I exercise almost every day. I haven't cut out brownies or anything (this morning I made us blueberry muffins), but I try to remember that 1 cup of rice is much more filling and better for me, than 1/2 a pan of mac-n-chez.

I did some grocery shopping for Grandpa last night and bought him goodies like shakable parmasean chez, spray-on butter, liquid Smuckers Oil and Shortening Replacement and a huge pack of sweet-n-low. I baked him some mini loafs of banana bread this morning using these substitutes and the loaves are just as tasty! And VERY good for you!

I am planning on making porcupine balls for him and Aunt Pat to eat this week. I will be using ground sirloin and turkey sausage, so they should be healthier than usual. I hope to make some diet-abiding biscuits up there, too, since Grandpa LOVES his biscuits!

Oh well, time to head on up.


Copyright - WalkingOnSunshine 2001-2011