THIS IS MY BLOG! It will contain whatever *I* want to say. Remember, you are a GUEST. If you have some mental problem with my topics, words or personality, I suggest you click off my site and find something better to do on the Web.
Play nicely, or I will advertise your logged IP here for spammers to catch, along with banning it.
Gimmicks
Monday, November 05, 2001
One of my biggest pet peeves is junk mail, especially "urban legends" from otherwise intelligent people, who do not use the stuff in the National Enquirer, Weekly World News, The Globe, etc. for their most trusted news source. Unlike those who buy the "tabloids," these otherwise intelligent people quickly pass along their junk e-mail to everyone on their e-mail list and get offended if you don't buy into the crap.
I received yet another urban legend from a close family member. This is the one about Budweiser/Pepsi/Sept. 11. I went to Snopes and found it quickly with their obvious search engine, so I hit REPLY ALL and sent the Snopes link back with a message, "Sorry, this is an Urban Legend."
Well, I upset another family member who thought it was a "nice story." Of course, she does not think it is racist in the least, or care that it is a lie. Nope, it is a "nice story."
I beg to differ, she would be VERY offended if, instead of a nationality for the "bad guys," we just changed the description to locals from HER little town. I am sure she wouldn't like her town to be given a bad reputation, especially because of an Internet lie.
I am sure she would be horrified by my reworked edition of her "nice story" which features the business she works at and her fellow employees.
Unfortunately, by doing so, the Urban Legend lost most of its anger. Now, with a whole new area and Barney Fife characters, the whole thing just seems....well....PATHETIC.
Now, though, a moral dilemma....should I send it? Sunshine - Walking on Sunshine -
11/05/2001 11:45:00 PM